THERE are things I liked about this Draft, and some things I didn’t like. Recently, there’s been some bellyaching about Eagles fans not showing enough positivity. So I’ll start off with things I liked about the 2014 Draft:
1) We entered the Draft with 6 picks and ended up getting 7 players, by trading back 4 spots in the 1st and gaining an extra pick.
2) 6’3” 212 pound WR Jordan Matthews. Every indication so far says this was a not just a solid pick but a good one. This team has NEVER drafted a WR with these physical attributes, this high. Instead of seeing (and coveting) T.O. and Larry Fitzgerald type WR’s from other teams, now we’ve FINALLY drafted one of our own.
3) I like the Jaylen Watkins (CB) pick, more than I like the athlete himself. Where he was drafted indicates to our DB’s that he’ll have the chance to unseat them if they slip-up. Nothing improves a man faster than his own desire to work at it.
So that’s what I liked. Here’s what I didn’t:
1) Our first pick was a horrendous reach. I scoured the internet and I can’t find any place that has him rated as a solid 1st rounder. In fact the NFL’s own scouting has him rated as a 3rd – 4th rounder. We paid too much for him.
2) WR Josh Huff may be a fine addition, but A) Right after we’d just picked a WR? And B) Here’s a guy who was rated as a 5th – 6th round talent (also by NFL Draft Scouts), but we took him in the 3rd.
4) S Ed Reynolds. Why draft a S who can’t tackle? You’d think that would be the first thing you’d look for in a last line of defense.
5) The apparent favoritism of Oregon players by Chip Kelly.
6) Drafting for a reason other than pure merit. The evidence? “We’re putting the family back together,” Hart said Kelly told him when he called to inform him of the pick.
I’m not a “hype guy” by nature, but honestly, I’ve been looking for something to crow about for weeks now. I make the site where you post your own articles. Yet I see no one putting out the vibe they claim to want to see.
If my stuff is negative, speak up. But so far when I do see comments on here, I don’t see many that disagree with what I’m saying. So I apparently can’t be saying anything you aren’t already thinking.
This site averages hundreds of hits per day, and for all the positivity fans may say they want, they A) Don’t put out any when they’re here; and B) They apparently don’t think what I’m saying is wrong. If they did, they’d say so, because Eagles fans aren’t a shy bunch.
That’s not negative or positive. That’s just being real.